Monday, April 25, 2005

Rushing...



Woof ! I'm tired right now. I drove mom and dad to the township hall so that dad could get a replacement absentee ballot (because he lost his current one, an...absentee-absentee ballot if you will). Then it was off to the supermarket to pick up some more milk and sliced turkey. After that the last stop was the pet store so that we could pick up two 40 lbs bags of birdseeds for our fine feathered friends (not the Joker, Catwoman, and the Penguin...that's on another Bat time, another Bat place).
Back home I spent about an hour going through my desk clutter and decided to put some old comics into storage and organize my tools o' the trade. Then I went outside and fired up the old (I mean old, like 'hey, look here comes the Pharoah...') riding lawnmower and proceeded to spend several hours mowing the lawn. Then I took mom for a walk (45 minutes, good exercise for both of us).
Back inside, I gave life to my imac again and checked my email (spam), checked my blog (some new comments), checked my blog buddies (see Summoning links) and checked Illustration Friday for anyone that I recognize (a few, checked on them too and left comments). Then I uploaded a new Corner ( #11) comic to quiet the drooling and howling lurkers out there ("I know you're there, I feel your breath") (BTW, a shout out to anyone who remembers what movie (animated film: hint) that line was used by, (another hint, the character wasn't human).
Then I realized that I need something for people to read...and something for those who can't read (a graphic image). Crap. Not much time and my pride won't allow me to hunt the web for a downloadable image from someone else. So I bust out Photoshop and create a few layers, slap down some squares and circles, a lil' paintbrush and airbrush work, liberal use of a virtual eraser. Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo!
* SIGH * It still looks like crap, but here it is, a conversation piece and visual abomination.

Wash yer eyeballs afterward. I'm outta here, thanx for lettin' me rant.
s.

4 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger Baroness Von Wolfengeist said...

On closer examination, I see you do digital. (you say you're stupid?)

My advise, wanted or not: dump the gradients and filters and work freehand. Focus mainly on the paintbrush and the blender and, also, make some brushes & textures of your own. The best thing about Photoshop is the ease of correcting mistakes and playing around with stuff to see which you prefer (ummm, layers). Just treat Photoshop as you would a "real life" tool and the canvas just happens to be on your screen. Don't think of it as "digital", just as a less messy and easier to correct way of creating a painting, collage, illustration, etc. The less you depend on the computer and the software presets (except for brushes), the more control you have and the more "genuine" your work will be - that is what I have discovered, anyway.

Ok, art lesson is over. Hope it helps. Or you can tell me to just mind my own business.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger steve said...

Hi Miss Daze!
Thanx for the kewl advise there you lil' sweetheart ! Sorry it took so long for me to reply to this, I spent 3 days away from the imac and I've gotta catch up. You can Spank my bottom good and hard for not replying earlier to this comment, I promise to hold still and not squirm too much. :-D
I tend to get carried away with Photoshop sometimes, the 'Erinyes' image in the Febuary part of this blog took me about 80 hours of work (I didn't know how to use layers back then) and while it turned out rilly good, the time it took was a pretty high price. You are totally right about just using brushes and blending the colors.
Thanx teach ! Um, you can put down that School Paddle now, uh....Uh Oh...!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Baroness Von Wolfengeist said...

Steve! Steve! You're alive...and well (I assume). I was starting to get concerned. Like a good little mother hen, I worry when all my little warm and fuzzies arn't accounted for - I like to know that all are safe and sound.

Glad you're back.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger steve said...

I am notoriously hard to kill, Miss Daze. Just ask anyone. I'll bet none of them can admit having the satisfaction of dumping me into the lower Umbra. Go ahead, ask. Most won't even admit that they know me. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home